Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Culture of Honor?

Currently in GT we are reading a book called "Outliers" by Malcom Gladwell.  In Chaper 6 he introduces something called a "culture of honor".  Cultural legacies are basically what defines how we act.  It states that we react to certain ideas or confrontations much like our ancestors would.   Two people named Dov Cohen and Richard Nesbett observed the behavior of students from the University of Michagan to see if there were any specific patterns.  Surely enough, students of English, Irish, or Scottish descent acted towards the chosen insult most violently, and students from the same area of the world tended to act similarly.

I find my cultural legacy hard to describe.  I am an Indian girl who was born here in the U.S. However I feel like even though I was born here, I am still very connected to Indian culture.  I am a Hindu, and I believe that religion is a large part of my life.  Our family goes to the temple once a month and even though I don't follow the faith as devoutly and completely as some do (my Grandmother), I still strive to live my life based on the teachings of Hinduism.  However... Sometimes it is hard.  One of the core beliefs of Hinduism is Karma (what goes around comes around).  I try not to be bad... but I'm a teenager.  Honestly, everyone gets in a little trouble sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment