Friday, May 6, 2011

My First Debate!!

Personally, I am not a huge fan of debating.  Really just isn't my cup of tea.  However, recently I had my first real debate and it was definitely an interesting experience.

Overall, I feel like the debate was really quite rocky.  There are definitely things that needed to be improved on and smoothed out.  I feel like the performance part went well, however, it was the preperation that needed work.

Personally, I think my strongest point was my confidence.  I don't have public speaking jitters, which can really inhibit your performance in a debate.  I think I was weakest in having actual statistics to back up the points I was trying to make.  I also think I tripped over my words a bit.

If I could change anything, I would change the way I prepared for this debate.  I should have practiced beforehand instead of simply winging it.

For the next round, I am going to take equal time to research both sides of the topic being discussed, and I am definitely going to practice!

I liked the rubric that we had, the only thing I would add is a seperate section for confidence and attire.

Next, I would like to debate:
Resolved: that the power of the federal government should be increased.
Resolved: it is morally permissible to kill one innocent person to save the lives of more innocent people.

I hope our next debate is more organized and better performed!

No comments:

Post a Comment